Wound irrigation (or wound cleansing) flushes away necrotic debris and exudates which would otherwise support bacterial growth and delay wound healing(1,2).
Wound Cleansing Solution
Normal saline solution (Sodium Chloride 0.9% w/v) is a wound cleansing solution of choice for its isotonicity and non-cytotoxic property. It does not interfere with the healing process, and is non-irritating(2,3).
Comparing Normal Saline Solution with…
Water is hypotonic and may be hemolytic. It may irritate an open wound and may interfere with the wound healing process(4). Some research compares the use of tap water with sterile saline for wound irrigation. Notably, these research has been done in developed countries, where tap water is clean and drinkable. Therefore, it might not be appropriate to generalize the findings of these studies to developing countries(2).
Rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol) is an antiseptic with bactericidal properties. It is used for pre-operative skin cleansing. Application rubbing alcohol to the skin may cause dryness, irritation, or chemical skin burns(5). Alcohol may cause protein denaturation and necrosis, and may interfere with wound healing.
Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent used as an antiseptic and disinfectant. It has weak anti-bacterial activity. Its effect lasts only as long as the oxygen is being released and is of short duration. Hydrogen peroxide is cytotoxic to fibroblasts, and may cause oxygen embolus and surgical emphysema(6,7).
The Benefits of Wound Cleansing with “Klean&Kare”
Klean&Kare Normal Saline Solution (Sodium Chloride 0.9% w/v) has the tonicity which resembles human serum (isotonic). It is non-cytotoxic and non-hemolytic, and is suitable for all general irrigation and cleansing purposes.
Klean&Kare Normal Saline Solution is terminally sterilized (Autoclave Sterilization) to ensure safety and conformity to international standards.
Klean&Kare Normal Saline Solution is free from bacterial endotoxins (pyrogen-free). It can safely be used in deep wound cleansing without causing pyrogenic reaction (fever and chill).
- No preservatives
Klean&Kare Normal Saline Solution contains no preservatives (bacteriostatic-free) or any other harsh chemicals. It is hypoallergenic.
1. Pollak AN, Ed. “Soft-Tissue Injury.” Nancy Caroline’s Emergency Care in the Streets. Massachusetts: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2008. 19.9-19.11.
2. Mulder M, et al. “Basic Wound Care.” Basic Principles of Wound Care. South Africa: Pearson Education, 2002. 145-150.
3. Sweetman SC, et al. Eds. “Sodium Chloride.” Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference, 36th ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2009. 1686-1687.
4. McEvoy GK, et al. Eds. “Electronic-only Monographs: Irrigating Solutions.” AHFS Drug Information. Maryland: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 2009.
5. Sweetman SC, et al. Eds. “Alcohol.” Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference, 36th ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2009. 1625-1627.
6. Sweetman SC, et al. Eds. “Hydrogen Peroxide.” Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference, 36th ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2009. 1647-1648.
7. McEvoy GK, et al. Eds. “Hydrogen Peroxide.” AHFS Drug Information. Maryland: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 2009. 2924-2925.